Honister House is thought to have been built around 1730 and may then have been part of a larger building. At that time, Keswick was centred (as it still is) around the Market Square and there was scarcely any development along what is now Lake and Borrowdale Roads beyond the site now occupied by Treeby and Bolton in Lake Road.
Derwent Street and Borrowdale were not developed until the 19th Century. At some stage (as yet unclear) there was a side entrance to the gable end of Honister House in Derwent Street, which has since been removed. We have photographs of the house taken in the 1920's showing the shop below which forms part of the property. The then owner of Honister House was the skipper on "Doris" one of the Derwentwater launches.
The shop is currently a jewellery workshop and is open to customers most days of the week. The jewellery is made using silver, semi-precious stones, freshwater pearls and Swarovski glass. The jeweller, Karen Rose, also has a market stall in the centre of Keswick on Thursdays and Saturdays.
We are currently researching the full history of Honister House.
Features of Honister House include timber beams, wood burning stoves, various exhibits by local craftspeople, several paintings by local artists and a range of work by local photographers and guests.
Honister House is ideal for small parties and for those special occasions. We can arrange for champagne, chocolates and flowers, as required. We are also able to offer discounted theatre tickets for the Theatre by the Lake and we are happy to make restaurant bookings for our guests.